Easy Garbage Disposal Cleaning Tips
If you have a garbage disposal, you probably use it quite often. The convenience of shredding food waste and washing it down the drain rather than filling a garbage can is one of the many perks of having a disposal. While keeping your pipes clog-free is a major benefit, sometimes all that hard work done by your disposal can leave it with quite an odor if you aren’t keeping up with proper disposal maintenance. Here are a few quick tips to keep your disposal clean and working like a charm.
1. Add Ice Cubes Using ice cubes while running water can help keep the motor, bearings, and shredder assembly from overheating while breaking down any build-up and sharpening the blades.
2. Use Baking Soda & Vinegar After adding baking soda to your disposal, pour in vinegar and allow the paste to sit for 10 minutes. Then run your water and disposal to allow the solution to run through your pipes.
3. Try Hot Water & Dish Soap One of the easiest methods for keeping your disposal clean and smell-free is filling your sink with hot, soapy water and then opening the drain and turning on the disposal. This will help the water get to the upper part of the disposal unit which doesn’t always get cleaned.
4. Use Borax If you already have Borax on hand, try sprinkling a small amount and running water afterwards.
5. Apply Citrus Citrus fruits, like lemons and limes, can help not only clean your drain but also add a pleasant scent. Adding small pieces of a citrus fruit with the peel still attached can help clean the blades and leave the disposal smelling great.